Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Warm and Cold Colors


Paul Klee's painting using warm and
cool colors

This project was very interesting, it taught me how colors can bring out a warm or cold feeling in you. First we each took a sharpie and drew shapes and lines without lifting the marker, gradually filling the page. Next, we split the page into one or two big sections by drawing lines through it. I drew a big circle and square in the top left and bottom right corners. Afterwards, we selected warm and cold colored oil-pastels. Sometimes it's difficult to differenciate a color as warm or cold. For example, bright yellow could be warm but also have a cold feeling to it if it had a tinge of lime green. At certain times you'd have to rely on your own conscience and just decide if it's warm or cold. Coloring wasn't so simple. All the shapes and figures within the big circle or square outline had to be colored warm. The rest would be cold colors. You could do it vise versa and have the inside be cold and outside warm. -It's sort of confusing but I got used to it soon after I started coloring.

My finished piece
The most prominent feelings I had while working on this project came through while sensing the different colors for cold or warm. The process was a bit difficult because a few colors could be confusing when you're trying to decide. You have to think to yourself if it's closer to lavender of magenta? Lime yellow or sunny yellow? Working with oil pastels is pretty challenging too. First the material can stick onto your hands easily, making it easy to smudge the paper by accident. Next it's hard to wash off and sometimes you have to wipe it off instead of just using soap and water. -But I still enjoy using oil pastels because it gives a smooth texture to the finished project  and easily blends with different colors.
This piece covers a wide range of elements of art. Color plays a big part in making the overall finished product look good. You also have to have balance. If most of the paper is filled with cold colors, the artwork will not look as nice and would not have a perfect balance. Shapes are also important in the creation of this piece. Letting a wide variety of shapes cover the page makes the piece more interesting.


The skills I learnt through this activity is pretty straight-forward. Once I've mastered this, I was able to differenciate colors around me as warm or cold. When I finished this piece, I observed colors with more detail and in a much closer perspective. After completing this project, your observation skills will definitely increase and your sense of colors in your surroundings.


An artist who played with warm and cool colors as well, is still famous to this day and known as Paul Klee. (Hey, that rhymed, haha :D). Paul Klee realized the interesting effect created by combining a balance of these colors, leading him to succesfully paint numerous masterpieces while having that in mind. The picture posted on the left also demonstrates his amazing talent for using colors and making them equally balanced.

Am I satisfied with my finished product? Yes, I think I tried hard to focus on my work throughout the whole project and finished within the time span we were given to complete it. I enjoy seeing how the colors blend in together from light to dark. I can feel a sense of balance in the picture, not too much of the same color or lines. I think the colors equally balance each other out, so I am perfectly content with my final result.
Green Level Writing~

No comments:

Post a Comment